Raptor Sanctuary – Ketchikan Alaska

We walked around the corner and – there was a bald eagle, sitting in the enclosure. We are from Michigan and have seen maybe two bald eagles in our life time (outside of a zoo). In Alaska, it is more like – there is an eagle, there is eagle, there is another. This location, took in injured birds and gave them a home if they could not be returned. I consider that one of the highest honorable things a person can do, care for those who cannot. (guess that is why I am in medicine). Check out these wonderful birds.

Another bird and the handler, explaining the incredible work they do at this facility with birds of prey.
This poor little guy was rehabilitated, but then could not make it on his own in the wild, so they brought him back, and he seems happy here.
One of the many, many Eagles saw in the wild.
A few totems at the site just outside the raptor sanctuary.

68 responses to “Raptor Sanctuary – Ketchikan Alaska”

1. Child Of God says:

What a beautiful bird that Picture should be framed!

Liked by 5 people

2. steveknife says:

Helping animals in need and treating them kindly is so important

Liked by 8 people

3. Beautiful birds!
    Ditto to steveknife’s comment.

Liked by 7 people

4. Sheree says:

Such majestic birds!

Liked by 6 people

5. That’s beautiful.
    I love eagles πŸ¦…πŸ¦…πŸ¦…

Liked by 7 people

6. Very beautiful birds 🐦 out there ❀️

Liked by 5 people

7. Prosperity says:

We loved that place!!! I almost bought the postcards that said Sitka and had the eagle on them… Then later I realized I should have bought them! I think they also had postcards with Jake (the hawk) but we ended up getting an Alaskan mug instead. Did you also do the rainforest tour there?

Liked by 6 people

8. DailyMusings says:

I am fortunate to live in an area where I see bald eagles close to where I live. I grew up in a time when they were extinct, never thinking I would one day be able to see one a mile from my home. They are amazing creatures to watch, and I find I still get emotional when I will see one take flight across the sky. Rehabilitation centers that care for injured raptors and then allow them to stay if they cannot make it in the wild are wonderful places. Check out the Decorah Eagle webcam for real time eagle watching fun-they are offline until October, but check them out then.https://www.raptorresource.org/

Liked by 5 people

9. Eagles are the most beautiful creatures on the planet! When I’m close with my feathered friends I am always better!

Liked by 5 people

10. Eagles, amazing animals ❀️❀️❀️

Liked by 5 people

11. I was looking for you yesterday, but somehow I wasn’t following you anymore!! How easily things fall apart here is astounding.
    So glad you saw these amazing eagles. We have eagles in the UK and a species that was extinct here was reintroduced recently in Scotland. Farmers aren’t happy as one took a lamb, but I guess that’s how nature is. We have a lot of raptors where I live.

Liked by 4 people

• You know that has happened to me a lot as well. Not sure how….. WordPress is glitchy. We did not have eagles here since I was a child (that is a long time) but recently some people have said there is one around here, but we have only seen them way up north in the top of the Michigan mit, close to Canada. I feel like a lot of wild life = healthy environment. So yes loosing a lamb – or a small dog can be taken too is a shame, but part of wildlife.

Liked by 1 person

12. Joshua says:

Those are really cool-looking birds!

Liked by 2 people

13. Reblogged this on By the Mighty Mumford and commented:
    KEEP AN EAGLE EYE OUT FOR THIS PLACE. FEEL THE RAPTOR (RAPTURE) OF SEEING WILD CREATURES BEING REHABILITATED!

Liked by 4 people

14. The Eagle is so majestic! What a wonderful place for raptors to rehabilitate. We have several places like this near the Chesapeake Bay Maryland region. πŸ™‚

Best of luck and fun in your planning your next chapter of life with retiring! Hubby & I planned and were lucky to retire at 56 in 2015. We’ve had a temporary hold-back in last couple years, but are now getting ready to embark on our lifelong dream of traveling the U.S. in our motorhome for a several years. We’re getting excited!

Thanks for following my blog, I’m looking forward to following yours. Cheers! 😊

Liked by 4 people

• Donna, we are also worried we wont be able to retire at 52, but I think we will have David start and then I will follow. It is the darn health care that makes it almost impossible to retire early. How to afford it. But now your getting ready to do it! How excited, we are both so happy for you guys, honestly what an accomplishment, we will be following you on your motorhome dream!

Liked by 2 people

15. Loved it awesomeπŸ‘πŸ’―

Liked by 2 people

16. […] via Raptor Sanctuary – Ketchikan Alaska β€” Dave and Lauras Dream […]

Liked by 1 person

17. Atul Depak says:

Subhanallah! very gorgeous bird-the king of sky

Liked by 1 person