I knew you cannot use credit cards in Cuba, and they have cigars and rum, but I did not know….
- We were told we had to have a cultural tour booked or we would not even be allowed to step off the Cruise ship (or if we flew in – not step off the plane). This is not true. The threat is empty. We saw several couple walk off the ship (they were Americans) they said they had nothing booked and were unconcerned and when we were back on the ship they said they had a wonderful day.
2. Everyone in Cuba, LOVES Che Guevara!
Ernesto “Che” Guevara was an Argentina Marxist Revolutionary, a doctor, an author, guerrilla leader and HERO in Cuba. He was a major figure of the Cuban Revolution, his picture and vision has become a symbol of rebellion in Cuba and popular culture.
I saw two pictures of Fidel Castro, saw 1000 pictures of Che Guevara.
3. Every person in Cuba (except politicians) make only $50 per month. You could be a doctor or street dancer, it is the same salary.
4. We had no idea how much to get in Cuba dollars, so we got $150, which was more than enough since there was not much to buy when on a tour. We did buy rum, one cigar, a necklace at a local children’s center and could have bought typical tourist trap t-shirts and carvings and plastic items you could get at any tourist trap location, but we are past that type of vacation item. When your on a tour, you do not have an opportunity to buy much, but if your so inclined sharing a few dollars with the locals, would be wonderful, considering #3.
5. The Cuban people are wonderful, we expected them to be angry with many things, including our President, but did not find that true. I was not afraid even for a minute, and would not be even if we were wondering around town ourselves, it is a safe place. We would go back in a heart beat, but first so many other choices to explore!
Leave a Reply